Followers

Friday, November 8, 2019

What Are You Thankful for?

Here we are, already into November, the time of year when most Americans pause to think about what they have to be thankful for.  Time, nor space, would allow me to share all the things that I am thankful for.  However, I would like to share just a couple.

Carl Harris holding Darell "Bud", 1928
Lucille Harris holding Darell, 1928

First, I am thankful for parents who taught me that a disciplined life would provide more happiness than going along with the crowd.  One of my father's strong teachings was "Any old dead fish can swim downstream, but it takes a live fish to swim upstream".  My parents believed and lived lives that proved they practiced what they taught the child.  Someone has said, "I would rather see a sermon lived than hear one preached".  I would agree with that.

In addition, I am thankful for the Word of God and how it has blessed my life with security, peace, and assurance.  There are many passages and verses in the Bible which have changed my life.  However, let me give only two verses that have been precious over the years to me.  I remind myself of them almost every night in my prayer time before going to bed.  Psalm 31:14-15a in the Amplified Bible reads, "But as for me, I trust [confidently] in You and Your greatness, O Lord; I said, 'You are my God'.  My times are in Your hands".

I have found this passage stills my heart in whatever circumstance I am faced with in life.  I believe God will do the same for you.  If you have doubt that it will, pray for Him to help your unbelief.  

--Darell 

No comments:

Post a Comment